Viking and Nordic Ancestry (English)
This is a Merge Project page.
This project attempts to clean up the forest of duplicates and errors regarding Viking and Nordic Medieval ancestry. The project includes profiles from the earliest historical times in Scandinavia as well as mythical figures from this area. The main time period is from around 700 to 1350.
- Halvdan Svarte Gudrødsson
- Harald Halvdansson Hårfagre (Harold Fairhair)
- Olav den Hellige
- Ragnvald Eysteinsson Mørejarl
- Magnus Berrføtt
Extent of Project and Cross-Over Profiles
The project touches the Anglo-Saxon Kings project, and we need to define cross-over profiles here. Our main time frame is between 700 and 1350, but some lines will go further back (with mythical literature as source) and others into later lines where the historical material is more extensive.
Gange-Hrolf ‘Rollo’ Rangvaldsson, Duc de Normandie
Bjørn P. Brox central administrator, moderator and coordinator
Family Group Permissions
Bjørn Brox has permission from most profile managers
- Nordic names for Nordic people
- Name as close to original name as possible, language, geography and time period to be taken into consideration
- Titles usually go in the last name field
- Patronymics together with first name to avoid misunderstandings or mistaken identity
- All names a person is known by in any source listed in “nicknames”: bynames, titles, variations
Our main sources are the sagas, and Scottish and Irish historical records:
Sturluson, Snorri. Heimskringla: History of the Kings of Norway. Original text in English, Norwegian and Icelandic or here
For answers we try to avoid private ancestry pages without historical sources, as these are often full of errors.