Veazey

From Wiki

Revision as of 17:09, 20 September 2010 by Mgkamish (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

The following is from a book called "The Descendants of John Veazey" copies of which are no longer available. However, there is no paper trail proving any of the historical facts. There is no record of a birth certificate, marriage license, or death certificate for John Veazey (the progenitor of the Maryland line of Veazeys) or his wife, Martha Broccus. Nor are there records of any deeds or wills. The earliest documentation has the names of their sons.

At the end of the book excerpt, there is info on the Veazey surname that was not mentioned in the book.


Settled in Cecil County in April 1, 1687. Veazey's Neck, Cecil County, Maryland.

John Veazey settled in Kent County prior to the year 1670, and received by grant a portion of the tract of land bounding on Elk and Bohemia rivers, known as Veazey's Neck, now in Cecil County. His will is dated Feb 28th 1697, and mentions child., viz., William Veazey, -George Veazey (who m. Alice, dau. of William and Elizabeth Ward, and had a son William), -Robert Veazey, who m. Lucy Dermot, -James Veazey (who m. Mary Mercer, and had a son, Edward, who was captain of the 7th Independent Company, Maryland Line, and was killed at the battle of Long Island, Aug.27th 1776, -and Edward Veazey.

John Veazey (spelled Vasey in his will) settled in Cecil County, in the Province of Maryland in 1687, having purchased a tract of land on the south side of the Bohemia River in the section of the County subsequently known as Veasey's Neck. The same tract is included in the place called "Cherry Grove", where one branch of the family lived for many years and were a family burying ground was made.

Positions held: Elected a Church Warden of the Parish of North Sassafras January 14, 1698, the Parish being also knows as St. Stephen's Parish and having been organized as a Parish of the Church of England in 1692 (See St. Stephen's Register).

It is very possible that he had been living in Cecil County a number of years before the deed for his tract of land was recorded in 1687. A deed to the tract named "True Gain" and dated January 5, 1694, was in the possession of Mrs. Benjamin B. Craycroft of Philadelphia and viewed by Duncan Veazey of Baltimore in 1896, The recording of this document has not been located. This tract was originally surveyed for Anne Morgan on April 14, 1665, and was in the possession of John's son, Edward Veazey in 1707, when the Rent Roll for Cecil County was made.

Apparently, on or before April 1, 1687, John Veazey became a Freeholder in Cecil County, Maryland, with two tracts of land, the aforementioned "True Gain" and a second tract, "Dividend", both included in the homestead which is known as "Cherry Grove." He is fashioned in this history as the "First of Cherry Grove," even though it is not known that he adopted that name for his dwelling plantation. Although John Veazey's grave is not marked, it is believed that he is buried in the family burying ground at "Cherry Grove" where many of his descendants are also buried.

That John Veazey had some character and standing in the community is evidenced by his election as Church Warden at St. Stephen's Parich in 1698, a time which was twenty-four years after the Parish was organized in 1692, and a time when the population of the county was estimated to be least twelve hundred persons. The provisions of the will show a desire to preseve the homstead in the ristrictions upon the sale of his land and are such as a reasonable and prudent man might make for his wife and family.

(1.) JOHN VEAZEY, whose parents are unknown to this writer [Ann Veazey Davis] at this time, was born about 1647 at ESSEX, ENGLAND. He married MARTHA BROCCUS about 1670 at CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND. JOHN died about 1700 at CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND. He is the progenitor of all of the Veazeys who sprung from "Cherry Grove" on "Veazey's Neck" on the northern end of the Delmarva Peninsula. This would include the Veazeys who migrated to North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky , Alabama, Texas and many other states.

Children (Veazey) by Martha Broccus:

(2.)* i. WILLIAM VEAZEY, d 15 APR 1733 at CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND. (3.)* ii. GEORGE VEAZEY, b about 1674 at CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND. d.about 1760 at CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND. (4.)* iii. EDWARD VEAZEY, d. about 1731 at CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND (5.)* iv. JAMES VEAZEY, d. 25 JUL 1766 at CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND (6.)* v. ROBERT VEAZEY, d. about 1767 at CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND.

Veaseys originated with a John Vasey whose will 2/28/1697/8 in Cecil County apparently was never probated. He names his wife Martha, and son William as executors. Other sons were Edward, James, Robert, and George . Tracts of land conveyed were along the south side of the Bohemia River. Cherry Grove on "Veazey's Neck" by the Veazey Family reunion: John Veazey was believed to have been born in Essex County, England about 1647. He married Martha Brockus about 1670 we think in Cecil County. He appeared to own property in this county before the 1687 date on his first land acquisition. He and his wife Martha had 5 sons of record: Edward, George, James. Robert, and William. Extensive records are available on many of these lines in Maryland. John died in Maryland leaving a will that was not probated but was dated 1697-98 and names his wife, Martha and five sons. He made his home in Cecil County on a neck of land called Veazey's Neck in a house named "Cherry Grove." It was the custom in those days to name the land for the family and to name the church for a body of water. It is our belief that he built the log portion of " Cherry Grove" in the late 1600's. This pioneer log home is incorporated into the home of Bill and Betty Ward in 1993. John is the progenitor of all of the Veazeys who sprung from "Cherry Grove" on "Veazey's Neck" on the northern end of the Delmarva Peninsula. It is thought that he is of the family of Veazey of "Wickes " in Essex County, England it is very possible that he had been living in Cecil County a number of years before the deed for his tract of land was recorded in 1687. A deed to the tract named "True Game." Dated January 5, 1694 was in the possession of Mrs. Benjamin B Craycroft of Philadelphia and viewed by Duncan Veazey of Baltimore in 1896.The recording of this document had not been located. This tract was originally surveyed for Anne Morgan on April 14, 1665 and was in the possession of John'sson, Edward Veasey, in 1707 when the Rent Roll for Cecil County was made. Apparently, on or before April 1, 1687, John Veazey became a Freeholder in Cecil County, Maryland, with two tracts of land the aforementioned "True Game" and a second tract, "Dividing," both included in the homestead which is known as "Cherry Grove, even though it is not known that he adopted that name for his dwelling plantation. Although John Veazey's grave is not marked, it is believe that he is buried in the family burying ground at Cherry Grove where many of his descendants are also buried.


Last name: Veazey Recorded in the spellings of Vaisey, Vasey, Vassay, Vassey, Vassie, Voysey, Pheasey, and altogether twenty nine forms, this unusual and interesting name is English. However it has its origins in an Anglo-Norman-French word "enveisie", meaning playful or merry and as such it was used as a nickname for a bright, cheerful person. The origination is ultimately from the Latin word "invitiare", meaning pleasure and in the famous Domesday Book of 1086 one "Robertus Invesiatus" is recorded showing the Latinized form of the name. Early examples of the surname recordings in the surviving registers of the diocese of Greater London include Mary Vassay who married James Desremneaux on September 22nd 1723 at St. Paul's church, Covent Garden, and Sarah Vasey who married Robert Wickens on December 23rd 1759 at St. James, Clerkenwell. Nathaniel Veazey was recorded as being a landowner in the Sommer Isles, the original name of Bermuda, in 1679 when he owned about thirteen acres, whilst John Vasey, aged 16 years, was apparently an Irish famine emigrant, who sailed from Liverpool aboard the ship "Joseph Cunard" bound for New York on June 23rd 1846. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Robert L'enveiset. This was dated 1131, in the register of Rievelleaux Abbey, in North Yorkshire, during the reign of King Henry 1st of England, 1100 - 1135. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/veazey#ixzz0zcH0IFY5

You can find (1) John Veazey on geni here: http://www.geni.com/people/1-John-Veazey/6000000001482841937#/tab/overview

Personal tools