I'm Scott Hibbard. I am a Vice President in a large advertising/marketing firm in NJ, USA. I am married to a wonderful gal and as of today (2/14/08) I have an 2-year-old daughter (so cute we used her at a pediatric convention for Johnson & Johnson, heh heh, gotta brag on her a little). Three years ago I flipped a place I had to purchase a 200-year-old historic house to live in (my wife collects antiques so they fit in perfectly with the recently fixed-up antique house). The purchase of my home made me even more interested in history. I have been into Genealogy for over 20 years now, however Geni is the reason for my recent resurgance of family data mining. There are many of my relatives that have been deeply into Genealogy as well, and have afforded me many leads in my past and current quest for information on my family. I was lucky to be related to a few genealogists and historians who were able to give me very large GEDCOM files to meld with my data (now over 400,000 profiles). One family member A. G. Hibbard wrote a 400+ page book on the "Genealogy of the Hibbard Family Who are Descendants of Robert Hibbard of Salem, Massachusetts". Robert Hibbard from the book (Born March 13, 1613 in Salisbury, Hampshire, England) was my ninth great grandfather. He came to Salem with Governor Winthrop as a member of the company known as the "great immigration" which came under the direction and patronage of Governor Endicott. The company came in a convoy of ships, one of which was the Mayflower. To make things more interesting, my 10th grandfather (on my great grandmother's side) was James Read, a member of the first ship to colonize what is now the USA in Jamestown, VA 400 years ago. Needless to say, those little nuggets of information were all I needed to begin my obsession with genealogy and now with Geni!
Other Family Members
Here's a few "famous" people in my family tree (all directly linked through one of my Hibbard great grandfathers). Ok, maybe it's more then a "few".
- William Gold Hibbard - owner of Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Company (present day True Value Hardware).
- Edward Winslow - Mayflower Passenger who served as the governor of the Plymouth Colony and signed the Mayflower Compact (my 10th great grandfather).
- William Williams - Connecticut representative, signed the Declaration of Independence (my first cousin 5 times removed, or my 5th great grandfather's first cousin).
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes - 19th President of the United States of America (my second cousin 3 times removed, or my 3rd great grandfather's second cousin).
- Orville and Wilbur Wright - the Wright brothers, first people to create a working flying machine, which first flew in 1903 (my first cousins 5 times removed, or my third great grandfather's first cousin twice removed).
- Henry David Thoreau - American author (my first cousin 9 times removed, or my seventh great grandmother's cousin twice removed).
- Emily Dickenson - American poet.
- Samuel Morse - American inventor (my cousin 10 times removed, or my seventh great grandmother's cousin thrice removed).
- John Hancock - Massachusetts Representative, put his signature very large on the Declaration of Independence so that King George could read it without his glasses, thus the use of his name to mean "signature" (my first cousin 11 times removed, or my seventh great grandmother's cousin 4 times removed).
- Elizabeth Browning - English author and poet.
- Ellen Louise Axson Wilson - First Lady, the first wife of President Woodrow Wilson.
- William Howard Taft - 27th President of the United States of America.
- Norman Rockwell - American painter.
- Frances Folsom Cleveland - First lady, wife of President Grover Cleveland.
- Mamie Eisenhower - First Lady, wife of President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- James Abram Garfield - 20th President of the United States of America.
- Julia Child - American Gourmet Chef.
- Charles Carroll of Carrollton - the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence. His signature reads "Charles Carroll of Carrollton", so he is widely known as such.
- Gregory Peck - American actor, played in "To Kill a Mockingbird", "Twelve O'clock High", "The Guns of Navarone", and "McArthur".
- Jane Austen - English author (my first cousin 4 times removed).
- Edward Tilly - came with his wife to Plymouth on the Mayflower. He signed the Mayflower compact.
- John Locke - English philosopher.
- E.E. Cummings - American poet.
- Grace Anna Goodhue Coolidge - Fisrt Lady, wife of President Calvin Coolidge.
- John Wayne - American actor.
- John Peters Ringo - American outlaw.
- Robert Frost - American poet.
- George Walker Bush - 43rd President of the United States of America (My 8th cousin).
- Lucille Ball - American actress.
- Nathaniel Hawthorne - American author.
- Alfred Deakin - 2nd Prime Minister of Australia.
- Virginia Woolf - English poet.
- Truman Capote - American author.
- Alfred Tennyson - English poet
- O. Henry - born William Sydney Porter, O. Henry's famous endings known for their clever surprises, coined the phrase "the O. Henry ending".
- Samuel Adams - Samuel Adams helped to organize the Boston Tea Party. From the beginning he was a loud voice for independence (also has a great beer company named after him).
- Robert Treat Paine - Massachusetts Representative, signed the Declaration of Independence and later served in the House of Representatives for his state.
- Roger Sherman - Connecticut Representative. The only man to sign all four American documents of sovereignty was Roger Sherman. Among those documents were the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution.
- Eli Whitney - American inventor (invented the cotton gin).
- Jane Means Appleton Pierce - First Lady, wife to President Franklin Pierce.
- James "Wild Bill" Hickock - American outlaw.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson - American author.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes - American author.
- Ray Bradbury - American author.
- Julia Gardiner Tyler - First Lady, wife to President John Tyler.
- Oliver Winchester - gun company owner.
- William W. Winchester - gun company owner.
- Elizabeth Virginia Wallace Truman - First Lady, wife to President Truman.
- Shirley Temple - American actress.
- John Steinbeck - American author.
- Isambard Kingdom Brunel - British engineer, known for the creation of the Great Western Railway, a series of ships and bridges. He also helped build the first propeller driven ship.
- W. G. Grace - English cricket player
- Eugene O'Neill - American playwright
- A.G. Hibbard, Genealogy of the Hibbard Family Who are Descendants of Robert Hibbard of Salem, Massachusetts, (Connecticut: The Case, Lockwood, & Brainard Company, 1901) 8-9.
- New England Historical Society.