(Also see Blood Tree)
The Tree is a visual representation of family relationships. Your visible tree may not contain every person in your tree. Branches of your tree that are hidden from your current view are indicated by 'little green tree' with a '+' and a number, indicating the number of additional nodes made visible by making that node the focus node (by clicking on the little green tree).
Spouse locations on the tree view are actually defined by the Marriage Order selected. The highest or latest number will place that node the closest to their relative partner, and outwards in descending order. This order is maintained regardless of Marriage Status.
Sibling locations on the tree view are actually defined by the Birth Order selected. The siblings will display left to right from first born to last born. Because we display the focus node's parents next to each other in the Tree, their siblings may draw out of order. As a result, we add numbers above their nodes indicating their birth order.
The tree can be navigated by clicking and dragging anywhere on the screen with the mouse, using the arrow keys or the arrow buttons at the bottom left of the screen. Return back to the person who's tree you are viewing by clicking on his or her photo between the arrow buttons.
Zooming in and out is accomplished by shifting the scroll bar above the arrow buttons up and down, or using the scroll button on your mouse.
At the bottom of the tree, there are three tabs:
- Navigate - This is a 'mini' overview of your tree which you can scroll to quickly get to to remote nodes.
- Go To... - This is an alphabetical listing of all nodes currently displayed in the tree. Note that it differs from the index, which displays all profiles you can access.
- Preferences - This allows you to set your Display, Names, and Advanced preferences for the Tree. Tree Preferences is a user preference. Each user has their own tree preferences settings that is shared across browsers and log ins. The Tree Preferences are divided into three sections:
- Four tree layouts - Standard, Vertical, Photos Only, and Names Only
- Choose the number of generations to display, including an option for direct ancestors only (pedigree view)
- 'Flip' nodes over for more detail, right on your tree
- Display deceased relatives with a small black band
- Hide/show yellow arrows, photos, and more
- Four options for how to display maiden names in your tree
- Ignore display name. If you deselect the 'Ignore display name' checkbox than profile nodes will always show display names if there is one. This takes precedence over any maiden name options selected. Any profiles without display names will follow the maiden name option you have selected.
- Show/hide middle names and suffixes
- Set minimum and maximum font sizes (designed for better display of very long names)
- Choose from three display quality settings (for better performance on some computers)
- Choose to have the tray pop up only when clicked, rather than when moused over
You may copy nodes into your Side Bar to Profile_merging those nodes or create cycles by selecting 'Move' on the profile node which will copy that node into your Side Bar. Once the node is copied using 'Move,' you may simply navigate to the appropriate Tree drag and drop that node on the person that you want to merge or show the connection to.
- Find Your Family: You may now import your address book from your email account to create Floater (green) nodes in your Tree by inviting family members you may not know the connections to on the Tree. Once you have imported your Address Book you will be redirected to your Family Tree where you will then note some Green Floater Nodes. Floater nodes are those nodes which have not yet been properly placed within the Tree. You may click and drag these to their appropriate place or simply allow the user to do so once they have accepted their invitation.