- Ahnentafel or Sosa-Stradonitz System - One of several numbering systems used to record individuals on a pedigree chart or in list form.
- Ancestor - A person from whom one is descended; a parent.
- Descendant -
- Descendant chart - A chart of a particular individual's descendants.
- Family tree - A version of the pedigree chart including all ancestors. With regard to Geni trees the tree may be viewed as a hybrid of the ascendant chart and descendant chart.
- Pedigree or Ascendant chart - A chart depicting an individual and their direct ancestors usually including dates and locations of birth, marriage, and death.
- Progenitor -
- Surname or Family Name -
- Vital record - Records of life events kept under governmental authority, including birth certificates, marriage licenses, and death certificates.