- Ahnentafel or Sosa-Stradonitz System - One of several numbering systems used to record individuals on a pedigree chart or in list form. Each individual is numbered based on their relation to the descendant, with the descendant being number 1. All male ancestors are numbered evenly while all female ancestors are numbered oddly; the father being twice that of the descendant of each generation and the mother being twice that of the descendant of each generation, plus one.
- Descendant chart - A chart of a particular individual's descendants.
- Family tree - A version of the pedigree chart including all ancestors. With regard to Geni trees the tree may be viewed as a hybrid of the ascendant chart and descendant chart.
- Pedigree or Ascendant chart - A chart depicting an individual and their direct ancestors usually including dates and locations of birth, marriage, and death.
- Surname or Family Name -
- Vital record - Records of life events kept under governmental authority, including birth certificates, marriage licenses, and death certificates.