- Ascendant chart or Pedigree chart - A table depicting an individual and their direct ancestors.
- Ahnentafel or Sosa-Stradonitz System - One of several numbering systems used to record individuals on a pedigree chart or in list form.
- Ancestor - A person from whom one is descended.
- Cousin -
- Descendant -
- Descendant chart - A table of a particular individual's descendants.
- Family History -
- Family Name or Surname -
- Family tree - A version of the pedigree chart including all ancestors. With regard to Geni trees the tree may be viewed as a hybrid of the ascendant chart and descendant chart.
- Given name -
- Lineage -
- Parent -
- Pedigree - A history or background of an individual showing their heritage or class distinction.
- Progenitor - A parent or ancestor; the originator of a line; the earliest proven ancestor; the person from which all descendants originate.
- Sibling -
- Sire - A biological father or male ancestor.
- Spouse -
- Vital record - Records of life events kept under governmental authority, including birth certificates, marriage licenses, and death certificates.