The place to suggest a feature is in the forums, but here we can track commonly requested suggestions. Feel free to add a suggestion here, or comment on an existing suggestion (indent it using colons, and sign your name at the end of your comment).
- 1 Add location profile
- 2 Additional Address Fields
- 3 Adoption
- 4 Animated History
- 5 Automatic Biography Wizard feature
- 6 Calendar Feed
- 7 Facebook
- 8 GEDCOM Exporting With Media
- 9 Making Changes to "Claimed" profiles
- 10 Mobile Edition
- 11 Privacy and Security after tree merging
- 12 Public Developer API
- 13 Public Trees
- 14 Source for Family Member
- 15 Wiki suggestions
Add location profile
Additional Address Fields
It would be great if we could have the ability to add previous addresses.
This is being discussed in the following forum thread: http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=1404
- I don't think this would be all that difficult to implement. GEDCOM 5.5 already has the ADOP tag and in the Geni tree view it could just be shown as two sets of parents going down to one child. --jon.jaques 06:43, 21 August 2007 (PDT)
Create a plugin to the map program that allows you to "play back" family history, based on where ancestors were born and where they moved to.
Automatic Biography Wizard feature
In my opinion, the current "About Me" feature is too open and therefore isn't that inviting for all my family members to start writing down their whole biography from scratch. I would love to see an Biography automatic wizard feature which will include a whole bunch of essential questions and build up by itself a short good looking biography. Just like Wikipedia short stubs always attract people to expand them collaboratively with time, I think that the automated short bios would attract the family members to expand them collaboratively with time. Barak4u 10:51, 27 August 2007 (PDT)
The calendar of brithdays and anniversaries is a wonderful resource. If that was subscribe-able (given a generated key for security) as an ical or XML feed... it would be great. Easy to bring into Google Calendar, Outlook, whatever. I like the way Google Calendar has presented feed options and would recommend emulating as much as possible. --Zeroasterisk 08:20, 31 August 2007 (PDT)
GEDCOM Exporting with Media, such as Picture and Video, this I assume would mean that media would need to be made "Publicly Available" so the programs such as GRAMPS can import this media.
This would be a great feature to enable users to backup there trees if someone deletes anything
Making Changes to "Claimed" profiles
A nice feature would be to make a change to a "Claimed" profile, then a request is sent to this user to accept or deny these changes.
This is being discussed in the following forum thread: http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=1397
Privacy and Security after tree merging
I mentioned this in the forums awhile ago but once tree merging becomes a possibility, lateral tree security is going to be necessary. At the time everyone seemed to agree with only blood relatives and first-degree in laws editing profiles and anyone else can only view. In addition to that I think that anyone should be able to view the non-living profiles but not the living profiles which could contain phone numbers, addresses etc. Forum post is here --jon.jaques 11:11, 22 August 2007 (PDT)
Public Developer API
If Geni had this, you guys could probably solve a lot of your feature requests instantly
Trees which anybody can view. For fictional trees (e.g. a Simpsons tree) or famous people (a British Royalty tree). There could be a page with all these trees listed (this could be lengthy). Public Trees could be accessed by a URL (e.g. geni.com/public/tj43jd). The 'owner' of a public tree could invite other Geni members to collaborate on the tree.
- I think this would be a really cool feature and a good way to publisize Geni. Rather than saying check out this site where you can create your family tree you could give someone a link where they can see a famous tree and then might be motivated to create their own. --Fluteflute 02:24, 16 August 2007 (PDT)
Source for Family Member
A great feature would be, the source where this family member was found... I.E Census, Birth Certificate, Electoral Roll.. etc
This is being discussed in the following forum thread: http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=1408
- Move this page to talk page, so users could simply add new sections by using "+" in the top menu
- Please specify the license and other related privacy rules about this wiki
- Please educate users about not stealing and inserting content without following the rules (like copying Wikipedia articles requires a proper backlink to te original article among the notice that it has been copied from there)
- Yes, I strongly support this suggestion. --Ashley 19:36, 17 September 2007 (PDT)