The place to suggest a feature is in the forums, but here we can track commonly requested suggestions. Feel free to add a suggestion here, or comment on an existing suggestion (indent it using colons, and sign your name at the end of your comment).
- 1 GEDCOM import
- 2 Tree merging
- 3 Translation to other languages
- 4 Add events and timelines
- 5 Add location profile
- 6 Public Trees
- 7 Public Developer API
- 8 Facebook
- 9 Animated History
- 10 GEDCOM Exporting With Media
- 11 Adoption
- 12 Mobile Edition
- 13 Privacy and Security after tree merging
- 14 Tree View History
- 15 Making Changes to "Claimed" profiles
GEDCOM import would allow users to import their existing family trees from other programs into Geni. Note that GEDCOM export is already implemented as an alpha feature.
- This feature can only be implemented once tree merging support is complete. --Ilya 17:02, 7 August 2007 (PDT)
The ability to merge two trees without creating duplicate entries.
Translation to other languages
- To get involved go to the Localization page.
Add events and timelines
Add location profile
Trees which anybody can view. For fictional trees (e.g. a Simpsons tree) or famous people (a British Royalty tree). There could be a page with all these trees listed (this could be lengthy). Public Trees could be accessed by a URL (e.g. geni.com/public/tj43jd). The 'owner' of a public tree could invite other Geni members to collaborate on the tree.
- I think this would be a really cool feature and a good way to publisize Geni. Rather than saying check out this site where you can create your family tree you could give someone a link where they can see a famous tree and then might be motivated to create their own. --Fluteflute 02:24, 16 August 2007 (PDT)
Public Developer API
If Geni had this, you guys could probably solve a lot of your feature requests instantly
Create a plugin to the map program that allows you to "play back" family history, based on where ancestors were born and where they moved to.
GEDCOM Exporting with Media, such as Picture and Video, this I assume would mean that media would need to be made "Publicly Available" so the programs such as GRAMPS can import this media.
- This would be a great feature to enable users to backup there trees if someone deletes anything*
- I don't think this would be all that difficult to implement. GEDCOM 5.5 already has the ADOP tag and in the Geni tree view it could just be shown as two sets of parents going down to one child. --jon.jaques 06:43, 21 August 2007 (PDT)
Privacy and Security after tree merging
I mentioned this in the forums awhile ago but once tree merging becomes a possibility, lateral tree security is going to be necessary. At the time everyone seemed to agree with only blood relatives and first-degree in laws editing profiles and anyone else can only view. In addition to that I think that anyone should be able to view the non-living profiles but not the living profiles which could contain phone numbers, addresses etc. Forum post is here --jon.jaques 11:11, 22 August 2007 (PDT)
Tree View History
I think it would be great to have a history of changes kept on a tree as done with a wiki page. As this will enable users to see "Who made the change", and "compare the changes".
This will enable users to discuss if a change needs to be undone.
This is being discussed in the following forum thread: http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=1399
Making Changes to "Claimed" profiles
A nice feature would be to make a change to a "Claimed" profile, then a request is sent to this user to accept or deny these changes.
This is being discussed in the following forum thread: http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=1397