You can search for a person using the search box on the top right corner of the Geni interface:
When you start typing a name we will provide you with a list of possible matches (this uses our standard People Tagger to look for matches). Selecting a match will take you directly to that person's profile. If you don't see the name in the list provided, click 'Go' to see the full list of results.
Search results are now divided between profiles “Connected to You”, “Not Connected to You”, and those "Managed by You".
- “Connected to You” - These profiles are in trees directly or indirectly connected
to your tree. Use the “Search In:” menu to filter these results by blood tree.
- “Not Connected to You” - These profiles are in other Geni trees. You can use it to search for relatives in other trees and then seek to merge those trees.
- "Managed by You" - These are the profiles which you manage. You can use this tab to locate those profiles you still manage.
If you are still unable to locate the Profile you are looking for, try using Advanced Search.
Advanced Search options include:
- Dates: Use Circa, Between, Exact, Before, or After for birth and death dates
- Locations: Search by name ("Text Search"), or use geocoding to include places within 1 mile, 5 miles, or 10 miles of a location)
You will then be able to locate those "Connected to You", "Not Connected to You", and those "Managed by You".
Another way to search is to use the List feature under the Tree tab to search for and identify any users who are "Connected to You" within your Tree. There also filters within this list to remove/include any Deceased, Non-Users or Family from the results.
This is a great way to find new Geni users to collaborate with on expanding your Family Tree. From this list you can easily invite them to join your Family Group, or view their Tree/Profile.
- You may also continue to search by specific Trees. To search elsewhere use the "Search In: Tree Selector":
By default, only claimed users and deceased profiles are included within the public search index. Living profiles are only included if the profile manager has enabled this in their settings.
You control the search privacy of your profile and the profiles you manage. For more information see our Search Privacy page.