While the Public search feature now allows you to discover distant relations, discovering lost roots is not the primary purpose of Geni. Several genealogy websites maintain databases of government records and user submitted data. While there are many resources available on the web it is important to learn the validity of data collected. Many handwritten records are left to interpretation and simple data entry mistakes can lead to extraneous research.
In order to maintain the highest levels of data quality it is important to keep records of all communications and data collection. Interview living members of the family you are researching. Search vital records at government archives, municipalities, and churches in person. Some organizations offer the hiring of professional genealogists to research your family tree.
- Ancestry AU - Membership services for genealogy research in Austrailia.
- Ancestry CA - Membership services that include digital images of Canadian records including census and military records.
- Ancestry DE - Membership services for genealogy research in Germany.
- Ancestry FR - Membership services for genealogy research in France.
- Ancestry IT - Membership services for genealogy research in Italy.
- Ancestry UK - Membership services for genealogy research in the United Kingdom.
- Ancestry US - Membership services that include digital images of United States records including census and military records.
- Canadian Genealogy Centre - Canada's official genealogy resource in French and English.
- Center for Jewish History - Online portal to the Ackman & Ziff Family Genealogy Institute.
- Family Search - Free access to user submitted family histories, vital records, guides and software. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- JewishGen - Free access to discussion groups, projects and research tools pertinent to Jewish ancestry.
- New England Historic Genealogical Society - Free and fee based services including professional genealogist services. Regionally specific to New England.
- RootsWeb - Free portal to message boards, websites, and projects. Sponsored by Ancestry.com and community members.
- Society for Computergenealogy - Free access to many German genealogy resources including databases and mailing lists. Most pages are in German but support for English is provided.
- The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation - Free access to a 25 million record database of passenger records, ship manifests, and ship images for Ellis Island/Port of New York.