While the Public search feature now allows you to discover distant relations, discovering lost roots is not the primary purpose of Geni. Several genealogy websites maintain databases of government records and user submitted data. While there are many resources available on the web it is important to learn the validity of data collected. Many handwritten records are left to interpretation and simple data entry mistakes can lead to extraneous research.
In order to maintain the highest levels of data quality it is important to keep records of all communications and data collection. Interview living members of the family you are researching. Search vital records at government archives, municipalities, and churches in person. Some organizations offer the hiring of professional genealogists to research your family tree.
- Ancestry AU - Membership services for genealogy research in Austrailia.
- Ancestry CA - Membership services that include digital images of Canadian records including census and military records.
- Ancestry DE - Membership services for genealogy research in Germany.
- Ancestry FR - Membership services for genealogy research in France.
- Ancestry IT - Membership services for genealogy research in Italy.
- Ancestry UK - Membership services for genealogy research in the United Kingdom.
- Ancestry US - Membership services that include digital images of United States records including census and military records.
- Canadian Genealogy Centre - Canada's official genealogy resource in French and English.
- Cyndi's List - Cyndi's List is a major compilation of links to genealogical research and resources, stories and histories, and many other things that can benefit the genealogist or family historian.
- Center for Jewish History - Online portal to the Ackman & Ziff Family Genealogy Institute.
- Family Search - Free access to user submitted family histories, vital records, guides and software. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- The Island Register - Prince Edward Island, Canada records and genealogy: local information on many families from that area.
- JewishGen - Free access to discussion groups, projects and research tools pertinent to Jewish ancestry.
- National Archives Research Centers - Home page for finding the National Archives Research Centers closest to your area and information on contents and access.
- NARA - AAD Main Page National Archives Access to Archival Databases page with search and links to archived information on many records from 1800-present.
- New England Historic Genealogical Society - Free and fee based services including professional genealogist services. Regionally specific to New England.
- Newfoundland's Grand Banks Genealogy Site Historical articles, pictures, records, transcriptions, information, etc. from Newfoundland, Canada with in-site Google search available.
- Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics Records from Nova Scotia 1860-1955 can be ordered for a cost from $9.95-$19.95 each.
- RootsWeb - Free portal to message boards, websites, and projects. Sponsored by Ancestry.com and community members.
- RootsWeb SSDI search - Direct link to the RootsWeb Social Security Death Index search page.
- Society for Computergenealogy - Free access to many German genealogy resources including databases and mailing lists. Most pages are in German but support for English is provided.
- The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation - Free access to a 25 million record database of passenger records, ship manifests, and ship images for Ellis Island/Port of New York.