Difference between revisions of "Projects"
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
A list of the current projects (over
A list of the current projects (over ) can be found at [http://www.geni.com/projects Geni Projects]. You can also do a Search on projects from this list.
= FAQ =
= FAQ =
Latest revision as of 22:57, 29 January 2013
Projects are collections of profiles. Projects can be created for a surname, an event, or a topic - anything that connects a number of profiles together.
Each project has a number of components:
- About: The project about field understands wikitext markup language, the same language we use on the geni user wiki. This means that, for the most part, you can just copy over text from the wiki and formatting will be retained. Links to Wiki pages, do NOT work, and must be converted into regular, full links - change the [[ ]] links into [ ] and use the full URL for the page. Please see the project template page for suggested text.
- Project profiles: Use the new project options under the more actions menu on public profiles to add them to one or more projects.
- Project collaborators: Use the new project options under the more actions menu on user profiles to add them as collaborators on one or more projects. This will give them the ability to edit and merge all project profiles.
- Project Discussions: Public Discussions that are relevant to the scope of the project. Discuss anything you want, such as naming conventions, specific facts / aspects of the project, or ask questions related to it.
- Project documents: You can now add documents directly to a project.
- Project Merge Issues: This is a Merge center dedicated to all merge issues for the profiles in the project. This makes it very easy for Project collaborators to view and act on the merge issues the project.
- Related Projects: A list of projects that are related in whatever way to this one.
A list of the current projects (over 8000) can be found at Geni Projects. You can also do a Search on projects from this list.
- Q: Who can create a project?
- A: Anyone.
- Q: What benefit to I get by being a project collaborator?
- A: You receive the ability to edit and merge all profiles that are a part of your project.
- Q: Who can add collaborators to a project?
- A: Any of the project collaborators.
- Q: Who can add profiles to a project?
- A: Any user can add any public profile they can edit to any project. However, in order to add a profile to a project you are not part of, you will need to follow the project.
- Q: Can I change the name of a project?
- A: Not at present.
- Q: How do I add a profile or collaborator to a project?
- Go to the profile.
- On the right under "view tree" there is a More Actions menu.
- Drop down, Add to project.
- Drop down box opens: add to project.