Pending merge means that you or someone else merged two profiles together (either to create a cycle or to eliminate duplicate siblings / spouses / etc.) The point of a "pending" merge is that it can be undone. While the merge is pending, you will see a primary profile in every place where either of those two profiles previously appeared, and from the profile page of the primary profile, you can access the "secondary" profile -- the one that will be eliminated once the merge is complete.
Once you're certain the two merged profiles are actually the same person, you should complete the merge (Complete Merge button atop the profile page of the secondary profile) and then delete the secondary profile once you've verified that the primary profile contains all of the data that was previously in the secondary profile. We'll be working to streamline this process in a future release.
The following rules are used to determine which profile is chosen as the Primary Profile:
- If one of the profiles is claimed but not the other, the claimed profile becomes primary.
- Otherwise, if one of the profiles has a greater "profile completeness" score (as seen on your own home page for yourself), that profile becomes primary.
- Otherwise, the profile that was dropped ONTO becomes primary.
Remember: The 'Added By' credit will go to the Primary Profile regardless of who added more content. Therefore, you may want to keep in mind the following rules when dragging and dropping the duplicates:
- When dragging a floater from the sidebar and dropping it onto a duplicate node, the floater will become the secondary Profile.
- When dragging and dropping duplicates in the Conflict Resolution Flow of a merge, the floater that you drag and drop onto the duplicate floater, will become the secondary Profile.