Norman Ancestry Merge
This is a Merge Project page.
- 1 Central Profiles
- 2 Extent of Project and Cross-Over Profiles
- 3 Project Members
- 4 Family Group Permissions
- 5 Naming Conventions
- 6 Main Sources
- 7 Notes
- 8 Problem areas and potential mix-ups
- 9 List of duplicate copies
- Gange-Hrolf ‘Rollo’ Rangvaldsson de Normandie
- William (Guillaume) 'le Conquérant' FitzRobert, I King of England
Extent of Project and Cross-Over Profiles
- Emma de Normandie, also called Ælfgifu (!) of Normandy, daughter of Richard I 'sans peur' de Normandie and Gunnor (Gunnora) de Crépon.
Married 1. Æthelred the Unready, three children:
* Godgifu (Goda) * Edward the Confessor * Alfred Aetheling
Married 2. Canute the Great, two children:
* Harthacanute * Gunhilda of Denmark
Family Group Permissions
See generic Naming Conventions page.
- Main principle: Name as close to original name as possible, language, geography and time period to be taken into consideration
- French names for French people (thus: Richard I 'Sans-Peur' de Normandie, not Richard I 'the Fearless' of Normandy)
- Titles usually go in the Suffix field
- Additional titles in Work (Occupation) with year frame
- Adjust First Name field to avoid misunderstandings or mistaken identity where necessary, by adding order/number (I, II, IV, etc.) and/or byname (sobriquet)in quote marks.
- Patronymics in the Middle Name field if applicable
- Maiden Names are normally avoided as there were none at the time
- All names a person is known by in any source listed in Nicknames: bynames (especially in English), additional titles, variations.
The Foundation of Medieval Genealogy has an extensive overview, based solely on primary sources, which should be used as our first source:
Problem areas and potential mix-ups
Some people have identical or very similar names and we must be careful not to confuse them in merges:
Arlette Herlève Havliva Herleva Harletta Harlette
There are two women using varations of these names:
- Doda de Falaise should not be confused with the Scottish Donada, daughter of Malcolm II MacKenneth. Doda de Falaise's parents were French.
There are many Norman females of this name that should not be mixed up - study all connections before merging.
- Emma Capet
- Emma de Blois
- Emma de Normandie
- Emma de France, daughter of Robert I de France and Béatrice de Vermandois, she married Raoul de Bourgogne, they had one son who died an infant.
- Emma de Provence, daughter of Rotbold III de Provence and Ermengarda, she married William III de Toulouse, they had four children:
* Pons, who succeeded to Toulouse * Bertrand, who succeeded Pons in Toulouse (1060) and his mother in Provence * Ildegarda Elisa, wife of Fulk/Foulques Bertrand de Provence * Rangarda, wife of Peter Raymond de Carcassonne
List of duplicate copies
Connected to the Big-Tree:
NOT connected to the Big-Tree:
(Do not merge with either of those yet - detangle the existing chaos first.)