- English: From knoll, meaning a small natural hill.
- German: from a short form of any of various medieval personal names derived from Germanic personal names ending in -n + wald ‘rule’, for example Arnold and Reinwald.
- South German: nickname for a rotund or naive person, from Middle High German nol ‘hillock’, ‘knoll’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): of uncertain origin; perhaps an occupational name from Yiddish nol ‘awl’.
Found in Yorkshire, England.
Coat of Arms
There is no known coat of arms.
As of 7/15/2008 there are xx profiles on Geni.com with the surname Noll - also see Noll Geni Search Results.
- Landon Curt Noll: the discoverer of two Mersenne prime numbers. Also served as a city council member and vice-mayor in Sunnyvale, California.
- Mark Noll: Professor of History at the University of Notre Dame, a progressive evangelical Christian scholar. In 2005, Noll was named by Time Magazine as one of the twenty-five most influential evangelicals in America.
- John F. Noll: bishop of the Roman Catholic diocese of Fort Wayne, Indiana (1925-1956).
- Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-508137-4