The Curators can set a profile in the Big Tree as Master Profile for a person. A Master Profile is easily identified by the green MP badge on the profile, after his or her name. Many Master Profiles will also contain a curator text box at the top of the profile. This text box may contain essential data about the person or it may contain a message from the curator.
There are many reasons to have MP profiles.
- The best reason is to show that this profile is well researched and reasonably complete.
- Sometimes a profile is subject to frequent vandalism. Curators can lock such a profile to prevent further problems but a profile cannot be locked unless it is an MP. Curators can either lock the entire profile or lock just specific facts.
- A cluster of profiles may all be made into MPs at the same time, when there could be confusion over similar names. Suppose John Doe had a son named John Doe and a nephew named John Doe. John Doe the son had a son named John Doe and nephew John Doe had a son named John Doe. In that case, the curator could make MP of ALL the profiles and will add essential information in the curator text box at the top of each profile.
- A curator would MP a profile if someone has reported serious errors in the profile. In that case, the curator would make the MP and lock it until it can be researched and any issues resolved. Again, a curator text box at the top,explaining that there are problems with the profile, is useful.
When a profile is complete and made into a Master Profile, it should contain certain basic information. The main reason is to avoid mix-ups, ensure quality, and to make the "true" relations easily accessible from tree view. Each curator has his or her own writing style and their MP's will reflect that style. No matter the style, curators strive to have the following information in the About Me/Overview field, in this order:
- Full name also with aliases and other main languages if appropriate, function, work or title. Also "Disambiguation" - warnings of usual mix-ups where necessary.
- Names of parents, spouses and children in a neat list
- LINKS (include headline) to official sources like
- Foundation of Medieval Genealogy
- Official websites of royal houses in Europe
- No links to private webpages where people have uploaded their trees (like Rootsweb etc), unless it is the only available source.
- Actual (copied) information and citations from MedLands, Wikipedia and good, approved Sources (which will be different for different areas) with references - include headline to indicate source etc
- Bibliography and Sources where appropriate
- Additional links
Only a curator can make a profile into a Master Profile, however, any Geni member can ask to have a profile made into a Master Profile. Review the information above. If you have a profile that meets these standards, paste a link to the profile in our public discussion for curators: my profile is good enough to be a Master Profile! (http://www.geni.com/discussions/83475). The first available curator will look over your profile and contact you if there are questions. Once everything is resolved, the curator will post back in the discussion that the MP has been made.