The Master Profile designation is a tool provided by Geni to help improve the World Family Tree [see http://www.geni.com/worldfamilytree]. A Master Profile (or MP) is easily identified by the green MP badge on the profile, after his or her name. The Curators can set a profile in the Big Tree as Master Profile for a person. Many Master Profiles will also contain a curator text box at the top of the profile. This text box may contain essential data about the person or it may contain a message from the curator.
The word Master has many meanings in English. It can mean "exceptional," but it can also mean "primary," as in the main profile that others should be merged into. Any public profile could become a Master Profile. Celebrities and nobility are often MPs. There are many reasons to have MP profiles.
- The best reason is to show that this profile is well researched and is reasonably complete.
- Sometimes a profile is subject to frequent vandalism. Curators can lock such a profile to prevent further problems but a profile cannot be locked unless it is an MP. Curators can either lock the entire profile or lock just specific facts. If you need access to a locked profile, contact the Curator for that profile.
- The MP designation is used as a guide when merging profiles. Unless there is a curator text box advising you otherwise, the MP is the standard by which to decide if you should complete the merge.
- A cluster of profiles may all be made into MPs at the same time, when there could be confusion over similar names. Suppose John Doe had a son named John Doe and a nephew named John Doe. John Doe the son had a son named John Doe and nephew John Doe had a son named John Doe. In that case, the curator could make MP of ALL the profiles and will add essential information in the curator text box at the top of each profile.
- A "shell" MP may be created when there is not much data on the person in the profile. The shell shows that this profile is in the correct place in the tree and can be used as a merging guide.
The Overview tab on the MP often contains valuable or interesting information about the person profiled, but not every MP will have this write-up. As we write the Overview, Curators strive to include certain basic information in the Overview. Each Curator has his or her own writing style and their MP's will reflect that style. Please be aware that the Curator creating the MP for the profile may edit the Overview data for clarity, change formatting for reading ease, and will remove duplicated material. Curators are not the only ones who write the Overview material. Every user is encouraged to contribute by writing the Overview. You are also encouraged to help by adding data and sources to the Overviews, and to make them as ready for the MP designation as possible. As you work on your profiles, add as much of the following information as possible:
- Full name also with aliases and other main languages if appropriate, and their function, work or title. Also "Disambiguation" - warnings of usual mix-ups - where necessary.
- Names of parents, spouses and children in a neat list
- LINKS (include headline) to sources like
- Foundation of Medieval Genealogy
- Official websites of royal houses in Europe
- Links to private webpages where people have uploaded their trees (like Rootsweb etc), especially when this is the only source that can be found, and the webpage shows solid research.
- Actual (copied) information and citations from MedLands, Wikipedia and good, approved Sources (which will be different for different areas) with references - include headline to indicate source etc, is helpful.
- Bibliography and Sources where appropriate
- Additional links, where the link provides background or more material than used in the Overview.
Only a curator can make a profile into a Master Profile, however, any Geni member can ask to have a profile made into a Master Profile. Review the information above. If you have a profile that meets these standards, paste a link to the profile in our public discussion for curators: my profile is good enough to be a Master Profile! (http://www.geni.com/discussions/83475). A curator will look over your profile and contact you if there are questions. Once everything is resolved, the curator will post back in the discussion that the MP has been made.