Geni is a collaborative tool that you and your family can use to build a common family history. Invite your Family to Geni to help you build your tree and create a scrapbook of your lives. You can also invite Friends to Geni to share photos, videos, and events.
Find Your Family
The easiest way to find family members on Geni is to search your address book. You can import addresses from Outlook, Webmail (such as gmail or yahoo), or from your Address Book. We’ll select anyone that we think you are related to and let you choose your other relatives. You can also invite friends - unrelated people you want to share your photos, videos, events with.
Your relatives will receive an invitation to join Geni they can use to start building their tree. They will also appear as 'Unconnected People' in your tree’s sidebar; you can start building their tree for them, and merge it into yours when the trees overlap.
- You may import your address book from the following email providers:
- Hotmail Live
- Geni will not store your password or contact information
- Geni will never email anyone without your direct consent
You can invite relatives already on your tree by adding their address to the tree or their profile, or from the Invite Your Family page.
- When you invite someone to your family tree using the invite feature we will generate an email, sent in your name, to this person.
- This email will contain a link to view the family tree.
- Clicking the link will present the person with the option to either Accept or Reject the invitation to join your tree.
- By accepting the invite, the user claims their profile and takes over control of their privacy and notification settings for that profile.
- If the person rejects the invitation, we delete their email from our database and will not send them any further emails.
Please note that you can not invite a person who is under 13 years old.
You can invite a Friend by entering their email address in the 'Invite your friends:' box on your Profile.
Use the 'add from address book' link to find an email address in your address book or invite multiple friends at one time. After you select the Friends you would like to invite and click the 'continue' button, the selected email addresses will be entered in the invite box. You will then need to click the 'Invite a Family Friend' button to send the invites.
Click the 'Add to Friends' text link on a Search Result
There is a link to your invite history from your invite page. Use the 'invite' link on the top right when you are logged in to Geni.