Welcome to the Geni User Wiki!
The purpose of the wiki is to enable users to provide as much information to other users as possible on Geni features, tips, tricks, etc. in order to enhance their Geni experience.
Please feel free to edit any page or add new ones. To edit any page use the 'edit' link on the top of any page.
To link to an existing page or create a new page place double brackets around the name of the page. For example to link to the Genealogy page you can type [[Genealogy]]. In general, words should NOT be linked out to external sources. If an external source is needed, then we need to use conventions for external sources.
First, I think this is the right decision to go with the MediaWiki tool as opposed to the others proposed. There are a number of settings that should be put into place to assist with the support process however.
A list of categories currently used on the Geni Wiki can be found here.
Suggested Wiki features
Should we add a 'glossary' category similar to the 'genealogy' category?
- Personally I think lists always look better in Categories but thats just me. --jon.jaques 08:39, 9 August 2007 (PDT)
- I also prefer lists, at least for smaller groups. Do you think that it's better to use a list or a category for countries? --Ilya 11:18, 9 August 2007 (PDT)
- I like the idea of a Glossary. Take, for instance, the Terms catagory, it is starting to become a bit fragmented as one needs to figure out where a genealogy term may fit in. As the Terms catagory grows it may be best to list all the terms in alphabetical order rather then by sub-category. Then again, it does make it nice for someone just interested in terms relavant to a specific area. I think that a Glossary of total terms would fit nicely with a Terms category.--ScotHibb 11:39, 15 August 2007 (PDT)
Allow image uploads --AceKiller 11:58, 4 August 2007 (PDT)
- MediaWiki does not appear to support image uploads directly.
- See the wikipedia instructions on Uploading images - they use Wikimedia Commons for image uploads.
File uploads have been disabled on this wiki. Noah, can you turn it on? I have files loaded in the Commons but they are not being allowed here. See here: File:Ancestral chart.pdf
We also need the references template set up. Some data is being lifted verbatim from other sites. We need to credit them appropriately. Anyone been able to get it to work?
- I tried referencing using the <ref> tag but to no avail. I just resorted to entering the address and letting it put a  after. I think this might be something Geni needs to set up because its in the Wikimedia instructions so it should work. --jon.jaques 05:49, 22 August 2007 (PDT)
Performance and Associated Observations
I noticed that the Wiki became unavailable a few times today (Saturday). It came back each time after a period of waiting. I don't know if there is maintenance going on with it, but it should be noted.--AceKiller 12:43, 4 August 2007 (PDT)
Over the past 24 hours, I found 5 instances of inability to resolve the name 'wiki.geni.com'. This also occurred while I was browsing around and attempting to edit some pages. At the exact same time, I was able to resolve 'www.geni.com' and 'forum.geni.com'. A quick check showed it had expired from name cache. Digging a bit further, I noticed a short TTL on the records, which shouldn't cause a problem but is bad practice. I also noted that the same address is used for both 'forum...' and 'wiki...' Clearing name cache and re-resolving each address still has problems with 'wiki'geni.com' while the others resolve instantly. --AceKiller 09:10, 6 August 2007 (PDT)
Since going public the page layout has been changed thus causing the buttons to edit, discuss, etc to be sent off to the left side of the page or not seen at all.
- Detlev, you are one of the lucky adopters, you have to change the skin that you are using, this can be done in the Preferences area, the skin they want us to use is the "GeniBook" skin. --jon.jaques 12:04, 16 August 2007 (PDT)