Difference between revisions of "France"
|Line 42:||Line 42:|
Revision as of 18:28, 30 August 2007
This page is about the country of France specifically, and the French people in general.
French is the most popular language in France, although it does have many speakers of many other languages. French uses a similar alphabet to English but with a few accented letters.
- l'accent aigu "é"
- l'accent grave "è"
- l'accent circonflexe "ê"
- le trema "ë"
- la cedille "ç"
High-speed Internet is very common in France. French sites are mostly in French.
Other things to consider
- as rest of Europe, reliable source of information for genealogy before the Napoleonic code are parish records. Geni needs to support christening dates
- Address format is as follows: 123 rue du Général de Gaulle <CR> 75001 Paris <CR> France. Note that in Germany, Belgium and France the postcode can be prefixed respectively by D-, B-, F- as follows: F-75001 to indicate country. We don't have counties, just 95-something departments, all designated by either two digits or the full name: e.g. 27 or Eure.
- The Google maps mashup does not seem to work well outside of the USA
- France is on CET time zone, with summer daylight saving alterations. For convenience, it is often designated as GMT+1 (in reality it's UTC +1 or +2).
Interest in genealogy
Very high but need to have site in French as people are not comfortable with American English.
France like almost all countries except the US of A uses the international date format:
- Day, Month, Year (DD/MM/YY or YYYY)
Everyone's related Chacun est connexe
Welcome Logout Settings Invite Help search name or email go
About Privacy Forum Blog Press Jobs Safety Terms Help
Geni Tabs Headers
My tree My Profile Photos Inbox
Geni SubTabs Headers
View as Tree List Index Calendar Map Discussion
Basics My Basics Status living deceased name first Name middle Name last name suffix Display name Email Current location Gender male female date of birth circa Send Birthday Reminders to my family place of birth birth order Death Burial Partner is a current spouse fiance current partner late spouse Ex-spose divorced Ex-partner Married on Married in Parents
date location Country city state/province county
Contact My Contact On the web Phone Numbers Home Address Work Address
About About me Hair Eyes Height Ethnicity Religion Political Views Languages Nicknames
Work Occupation company
Favorites Interests Activities People/Heroes Cuisines Quotes Movies TV Shows Music Books Sports
Contact On the web service username web address) Phone Numbers area code phone no) Home Address Work Address street city county state postal code
Save & Close Save & Continue Cancel