Revision as of 21:18, 25 January 2011 by Mike (Removed "complete merge" step -- merge completion is now automatic)
Adoptive relationships are not currently supported by Geni, but supposedly one may create multiple sets of parents for an individual by following these steps.
Given an individual with one set of parents (biological or adoptive)
- Find or create the other set of parents (adoptive or biological). If the other set of parents should not be connected to the tree other than through the adoptive relationship, temporarily create one of them as a sibling to one of the existing parents; this relationship will be removed at the end of this process.
- Create another node for the individual in question by adding a child to the parents found or created above.
- Merge the two child profiles
- Click "Move this person" on the more menu, which creates a floating node in the sidebar on the right
- Drag and drop that floating node onto the other child profile
- Select "They are the same person"
- You will be immediate prompted to resolve this "parent conflict" -- choose "complete it later" at the bottom of the dialog
- Removed the bogus sibling relationship from step 1, if any
- View the child's tree
- Click the "edit" link on the node of one of the bogus siblings
- Click the tab labeled "Relationships"
- Wait 5-10 seconds for the site to find the cycle
- Click the "Remove Connection" button next to the bogus parent-child relationship ("... is ...'s son/daughter")