This is a "Project" template
It was created to make it easier to get organized when creating new projects. Feel free to copy-paste it. To do that that, go to this page: Project Template Format and copy all of the text in the blue box. This page is here, so people can see what the Project page will look like.
Scope of Project
- For more information about Geni Projects, see the Geni Wiki Projects Page.
- If you would like to contribute to this page, please feel free to edit it. Click here for instructions about using Wiki markup language.
- Send a message to the Project Manager to join us and collaborate.
Join the discussion
tags are based on the categorization schema in Wikipedia
- For more about resourcing and a listing of general genealogical resources, see: Resources
The Geni Master Profile
- See Naming Conventions for notes on historical periods that may be within scope but not covered below.
Make sure the name fields of the Master Profiles include first name, middle name, last name, maiden name if known, otherwise blank, suffix for Sr., Jr., etc. In the display name field only add titles such as Gov. or Dr. preceding.
FN Reuben MN (blank) LN Coffin MN (blank) Display name is Captain Reuben Coffin
The United States did not exist until 1789 and the United Kingdom was formed in 1707. Please be careful about using autocomplete. It is better to use the "place" field and type out the place name. Use place names such as England and South Carolina and spell out the country name with historical accuracy.
Colonial America: Charleston, South Carolina
It makes it easier to read a profile if the "about me" information is filled out in this fashion:
- (vitals, summary)
- example profile: Stephen Hopkins Mayflower Passenger
- Future releases of the Geni Project module will create a dynamic library of downloadable media for profiles associated with the Project.
-- The media tab of the MP should be used for documentation files. Websites, biographies, census reports, image files -- the richer we make the profile, the more historically and genealogically accurate and meaningful it will be.
-- Adding a source validates the MP, and creates a "timeline" for each life represented by a profile. The more information we add, the more detailed and accurate.
-- Original source data includes: birth certificates, census reports, immigration records, ship rosters, obituaries, marriage licenses ....
- For more about sources, please see: Sources
- Citation data (MLA format is good) should be noted for each source. If someone else can't replicate research, it's not acceptable.
- Instant citation makers on line:
Please insert in alphabetical order by last name of author, and provide URL link if available online