In genealogy, Sources are our most important tool. Many of these are available online. Below is a collection of links to various websites that might be useful in our research.
Several genealogy websites maintain databases of government records and user submitted data. While there are many resources available on the web it is important to learn the validity of data collected. Many handwritten records are left to interpretation and simple data entry mistakes can lead to extraneous research.
In order to maintain the highest levels of data quality it is important to keep records of all communications and data collection. Learn to use the Sources and Documents features on Geni. Interview living members of the family you are researching. Search vital records at government archives, municipalities, and churches in person. Some organizations offer the hiring of professional genealogists to research your family tree.
- Ancestry US - Membership services that include digital images of United States records including census and military records.
- Ancestry CA - Membership services that include digital images of Canadian records including census and military records.
- Canadian Genealogy Centre - Canada's official genealogy resource in French and English.
- The Island Register - Prince Edward Island, Canada records and genealogy: local information on many families from that area.
- National Archives Research Centers - Home page for finding the National Archives Research Centers closest to your area and information on contents and access.
- NARA - AAD Main Page National Archives Access to Archival Databases page with search and links to archived information on many records from 1800-present.
- New England Historic Genealogical Society - Free and fee based services including professional genealogist services. Regionally specific to New England.
- Newfoundland's Grand Banks Genealogy Site Historical articles, pictures, records, transcriptions, information, etc. from Newfoundland, Canada with in-site Google search available.
- Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics Records from Nova Scotia 1860-1955 can be ordered for a cost from $9.95-$19.95 each.
- The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation - Free access to a 25 million record database of passenger records, ship manifests, and ship images for Ellis Island/Port of New York.
Asia, Eastern and Eastern Mediterranean
Georgia, Republic of
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, kings of Jerusalem - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, nobility of Jerusalem - Free
- American Historical Society of Germans from Russia - An international organization dedicated to the discovery, collection, preservation, and dissemination of information related to the history, cultural heritage and genealogy of Germanic Settlers in the Russian Empire and their descendants.
Asia, Western and North Africa
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Asia, Western and North Africa, Arab rulers from the 7th to 11th centuries - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Asia, Western and North Africa, Early Turks and Many Others - Free
- Ancestry AU - Membership services for genealogy research in Australia.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Byzantium (year 395-1057) - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Byzantium (year 1057-1204) - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Byzantium (year 1261-1453) - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Byzantium (Nobility) - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Byzantium (Constantinople, Latin Emporers) - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Hungary's Kings - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Hungarian Nobility - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, the kings of England (1066-1603) - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Earldoms created 1067-1122 - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Earldoms created 1138-1143 - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Earldoms created 1207-1466 - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Untitled English nobility, A-C, D-K, L-O, P-S, T-Z - Free
- Ancestry FR - Membership services for genealogy research in France.
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy - Merovingian kings, Merovingian nobility, [cts/MedLands/CAROLINGIANS.htm Carolingian kings, Carolingian nobility, Capetian kings, Dukes of Burgundy, Other Nobility in Burgundy, kings of Burgundy, Provence, Champagne, Counts of Flanders and Hainaut, Flanders, Other nobility in northern France, Anjou and Maine, Brittany, Nobility of Blois and Central France, Maine and Vendome, dukes of Normandy, Other Normandy, Alencon, Eu, Evreux, and Others, Paris and surrounding areas, Angouleme and la Marche, Aquitaine, Auvergne, Limousin, Limoges, Poitou, Bourbon, Gascony, Visigothic kings and Dukes of Toulouse, Other nobility of Toulouse
- Society for Computer Genealogy - Free access to many German genealogy resources including databases and mailing lists. Most pages are in German but support for English is provided.
- Ancestry DE - Membership services for genealogy research in Germany.
- Ancestry IT - Membership services for genealogy research in Italy.
- Digital Archives Norway census material and more
- Digitised Parish Registers
- Original Documents before 1570
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Anglo-Saxon kings - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Anglo-Saxon nobility - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, kings of Scotland - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Mormaers, Earls, and Lords in Scotland - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Scottish Earldoms created 1162-1398 - Free
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Other Scottish nobility - Free
- Ancestry UK - Membership services for genealogy research in the United Kingdom.
- Center for the Study of Ancient Wales - Free access to historical genealogical data from ancient Welsh texts. This site really cuts through the myths and fabrications.
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Welsh kings and lords - Free
(Work in Progress:sort by country and category)
- Center for Jewish History - Online portal to the Ackman & Ziff Family Genealogy Institute.
- JewishGen - Free access to discussion groups, projects and research tools pertinent to Jewish ancestry.
- The Central Database of Shoah Victims' Names - Yad Vashem - Free access to many records of Holocaust victims, often including basic genealogical data.
- Cyndi's List - Cyndi's List is a major compilation of links to genealogical research and resources, stories and histories, and many other things that can benefit the genealogist or family historian.
- Family Search - Free access to user submitted family histories, vital records, guides and software. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- RootsWeb - Free portal to message boards, websites, and projects. Sponsored by Ancestry.com and community members.
- RootsWeb SSDI search - Direct link to the RootsWeb Social Security Death Index search page.
- Society Hall - Directory of genealogical and historical societies developed by Ancestry.com and Federation of Genealogical Societies.