The listed features are accumulated from the forum where they have been acknowledged by a member of the Geni Team (date stamp). All qualified roadmap listings should therefore have at least one date stamped reference to a forum thread. Link posted here should preferably include the post number (click the '#' on the bottom of the Geni team members forum post before copying the url). Ideally there would be only one thread in the forum requesting a feature.
Once a Roadmap listing has been implemented, it will be moved to the Release Notes
It is our hope that Geni staff will assist maintaining and ensuring each feature request is correctly listed in any of the following phases
- Under development - For features currently being worked on by development staff and to be released in near future (<3 months)
- Planned features - For features accepted and waiting to be allocated to development staff.
- Features being investigated - Features currently being researched/reviewed by the Geni Team
- New feature requests - Requests/suggestions that have not yet received any 'positive' response from a Geni Team Member, but yet has been responded to
Each section has a general subsection "Additional features/fixes" for minor bugfixes.
For features currently being worked on by development staff and to be released in near future (<3 months, forum tagged "stay tuned")
Tree Merging is currently available.
Tree splitting  will enable existing trees to split.
- May 07: "...a feature we are working on and will be releasing in the near future. This will allow a user, who is registered and attached to a tree, to merge their tree with another existing tree..."  - BeRad
- Jun 07: "...There are a few features that we need to finalize before rolling out tree merging and GEDCOM import, in order to do them the right way. I am confident once we release these features our users will be very satisfied. Stay tuned!"  - Noah
- Jul 07: "...We are working on tree merging right now. We expect that this feature will allow users to have very large trees, so currently most of our time is being spent on underlying performance enhancements. We are also designing easy ways for users to confirm which relatives are common to both family trees..."  - Elliot
- Nov 07: "...For our initial release, you'll be able to merge two unclaimed profiles, or else a claimed profile and an unclaimed profile..."  - Mike
We now enable users to upload Videos.
- (Jul 07) Who is online  - released
- (Aug 07) Wiki to be added to the standard Geni footer 
- (Sep 07) Sourcing (data origin) 
- (Nov 07) Cemetery field to be added 
- (Nov 07) Submission/approval process making changes to claimed profiles 
- (Nov 07) Multiple Births 
For features accepted and waiting to be allocated to development staff.
Development is in progress by users on the wiki. The Geni Team has not reported any official yet. Geni Forum raises the question almost every day. 
- Apr 07: "We are currently working on our international and localization features, but we have nothing to officially announce yet. Stay tuned!"  - Noah
- Aug 07: "We want to make sure that wherever a user is using the site, it appears local to them. But, we also want to make sure that when your personal uses cross over into "international" use, that you are also able to update and communicate with users in other countries."  - Giacomo
- Sep 07: "We are currently working on localization features, including translations to various languages."  - Ilya
- Sep 07: "We are currently working on both local language versions as well as GEDCOM import. Please stay tuned!"  - Giacomo
- Nov 07: "...on the way..."  - Noah
- Dec 08: "We have been doing some background work on the back-end to prepare for translations, but unfortunately I don't have an expected released date for the actual release of translated versions of Geni yet."  - Noah
- (Dec 07) Increased divorce privacy settings 
- Nov 07: "We have a feature request to allow the user to specify link or attachment in the GEDCOM export request. It's not yet been scheduled for release, but it's in the queue."  - scott
Features being investigated
Features currently being researched/reviewed by the Geni Team
User defined tags (free-tags) to group photos - profiles - events
- Forum threads:
Ability to 'import' photos from other online photo services (Flickr, Picasa)
- Forum threads:
Redesign help site
Creating links among various help/community properties for better integration - help (faq), blog, wiki, and forums.
- Forum threads:
This will allow the illustration of adopted children with both their adoptive and biological parents.
- Forum threads:
- (Aug 07) Geni print feature  
- (Aug 07) Simplify entering date (currently three separate boxes) and support of other date formats 
- (Sep 07) Shared Photo Albums 
- (Sep 07) Keyboard navigation in tree 
- (Nov 07) Icon view and List view of lists 
- (Nov 07) Soundex search 
- (Nov 07) Advanced search functions 
- (Nov 07) Photo rotation tool 
- (Nov 07) Abilty to Edit and delete message in Family Discussion 
- (Nov 07) Chronological Tree Sort 
- (Nov 07) Include spouses on Geni Messages 
- (Nov 07) Cycle Symbol, similar to branch symbol 
This was released on April 16th, 2008
- (Oct 07) Upload Documents like photos 
New feature requests
Requests/suggestions that have not yet received any affermative response from a Geni Team Member, but yet has been responded to (ongoing discussions with further info requested from Geni team)
- (Apr 07) Flash dropdown boxes listen for the first character only, not the first three characters as HTML.  low priority
- (Aug 07) Sort photos chronologically 
- (Sep 07) Mobile Edition of Geni 
- (Nov 07) Edit access unlocked for locked profiles birthdate, birth order and current location 
- (Nov 07) "My Family" Tree view 
- (Nov 07) Same "Showing" options on Map that list has 
- (Nov 07) Self-defined/Labelled Relationships 
- (Nov 07) Separate Biography Section 
- (Nov 07) Additional columns in the List View 
- (Dec 07) Ability to sort lists 
- (Mar 08) Mass edit location field